Saturday, August 25, 2007

Mrs. Stahl's Knishes

VANISHED: 2005...or maybe 2004


photo credit: michael frucht

Since 1935, Mrs. Stahl's served knishes under the El at the corner of Coney Island Ave and Brighton Beach. It's been awhile since I was last there and I went in search of it today. I asked a couple of older Jewish ladies if they knew where I could find it.

"Oh, Mrs. Stahl's," said one wistfully, "I've been taking her since I was a little girl."

"It's gone," said the second lady, "It closed two years ago."

"No, it was three years ago."

"Was it three? Well, it's a Blimpie now."

"It's not a Blimpie. It's a Subway."

"Blimpie, Subway," the second lady shrugged, waving her cigarette, "What's the difference?"

Enough said.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

tragedy of the most immense proportions.

Zarz said...

Horrid. I guess Jonah Schimmel's is the only one left standing now.

It should have been illegal to take it down - should have been deemed an historical building.

Criminal.

Jonathan Leff said...

My parents used to take me there as a kid (the 1970s), after visits to the chiropractor (Dr. Stanley Bass on Brighton Beach Blvd, who is evidently still kicking). To this day, I still crave kasha knishes. Mrs. Stahl's was definitely the best...

Anonymous said...

I worked there for years
when I was a teen around 1970.
If any staff or former Weingast owners read this, get in touch...videobyjosh@hotmail.com

Josh

Anonymous said...

I just learned the sad news via Google Earth. A f*ckin' Subway. How sad. I didn't know about the west side location, which is now a Dominoes. I don't normally condone violence against property but...

Does anyone know why Mrs. Stahl's closed? Retirement? Rent increase?

Ruki444@yahoo.com

Jean-Paul Steinberg said...

we used to always get a big box of knishes here when i was a kid and visited granny ruth in coney island. soooo sad. i wanted to take my kids one day.

Anonymous said...

That's sad...another NY institution replaced by these horrible chain stores. If it's not Subway it would have been Dunkin Donuts. Horrible plastic food.